Chana Beans or Chickpea Or Garbanzos are brown, green or yellow, in color, vibrant and is an antioxidant, in other words a Superfood, which contains 70 mg of Choline, in 1 cup of Chana,( legume, in Indian) or Chickpeas. Choline is a chemical that keeps the cell membrane intact, thus help brain function, and this is great for mentally challenged individuals, since they don’t have enough Choline production.
Other Benefits of Chickpeas:
- Ample Potassium, thus great for heart health, since too much sodium is a no no, potassium is necessary for heart function, it regulates blood pressure and 1/3 potassium in 1 cup of Chana, is good news for Diabetes afflicted folks, a heathy diet of Garbanzo curry works perfectly
- Selenium & Beta Carotene, Great for keeping Toxins regulated in the cells, non-cancer causing, food, antioxidant removing the free radicals.
- Magnesium, in Chickpeas is wonderful remedy for cramps, such as joint, bone or stomach cramps,
- Calcium, promotes great bone health.
- 5 MG of Iron in the Chickpea, is helpful to patients diagnosed with Anemia.
- My favorite, it is loaded with Fiber. Helps and promotes bowl movement and prevents weight gain.
Now comes the best part, how to make some delish curry.
- Soak 2 cups of Chickpeas overnight and get them soft( brown)
- 1 table spoon of vegetable oil
- 1 half onions slices, prefer Red
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic crushed & pressed
- 2 jalapenos thinly sliced, for extra heat use red Thai Chili peppers
- 1 table spoon of salt, mostly for curry but a pinch for yogurt.
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper ( for yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon of cumin.( 1 for curry) the other teaspoon for yogurt
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 red potatoes diced in small pieces( if you prefer, not needed)
- 4 bay leaves, or Chili leaves
- 1 half of lemon/ for tangy taste if desired
- 2 table spoons of Garam masala( or Turmeric and premade masala from any East Indian store.( If you live in Bay Area, lots of stores in Sunnyvale & Fremont)
- 1 16 Oz Plain Yogurt
- 1 cucumber peeled and blended into shreds.
Preparation B/4 Cooking:
- Rinse Garbanzo beans properly and set them aside
- Add garlic, half of onion, Chili, half cilantro to blender and blend it into paste, set aside
- Fetch garam Masala( premixed with turmeric) add to paste( prepared Earlier) mix well and set aside
Heat up vegetable oil, once hot add Bay leaves, mustard seeds, cumin and rest of the sliced onions and brown it . Second step, add the curry paste and cook for 5 minutes until dry and slightly brown. Add the washed potatoes, Chickpeas, salt and cook, stirring occasionally, once brown and a bit dry add 1 cup of water cover and let it cook on low heat , squeeze in lemon juice from lemon, cook another few minutes , once soft add the rest of the cilantro.
Use 1 cup of plain yogurt, add browned crushed cumin seeds , blended cucumber , salt and cayenne prepper. Mix well serve, better if chilled first.
Serve in salad bowls with bag of spinach( preferred) or lettuce , cucumbers and prepared chilled yogurt. Add more salt and pepper for taste, if desired.
Let me know, if you like it.
BLOGGERJEE dated April 26th 2021